Air conditioning systems are one of the largest consumers of energy in residential and commercial settings, particularly in summer as the heat rises and the AC is cranked up.
So, it’s important to be mindful of how you’re using them and how to reduce air conditioner energy usage as a great way to save money, while also doing your bit to protect the environment.
Here are a few simple steps you can take to reduce your air conditioner energy usage and improve all-round efficiency in your home:
- Use an Energy Star Certified Air Conditioning System – Ensure that your AC unit is up to date and certified by Energy Star. It’s a fact that modern, efficient systems will consume significantly less energy than older models, so try to update your system when your budget allows.
- Install a Smart Thermostat – A programmable thermostat will allow you to adjust the temperature automatically, based on when you’re most likely to be home or away. This will help minimise cooling costs when no one is in the house or when temperatures dip lower at night. It can also be a useful way of tracking your AC run-time and the amount of energy you are using each month.
- Use Ceiling Fans – Ceiling fans help circulate cool air throughout the room, reducing the need for additional cooling from the AC unit itself. Try running the fan at the same time as the AC itself – if you run them both on lower settings but working together then you’ll actually save money in the long-term while keeping your home cool.
- Keep Filters Clean – Dirty filters will cause your AC system to work harder and use more energy, as it struggles to keep up with demand. Regularly check and replace dirty filters or purchase washable filters, which can be easily cleaned with water and reused multiple times.
- Close Doors and Windows – Make sure all windows are close while running your air conditioner and try not to open doors too often. If you do, this will interrupt the circulation of cooled air in other rooms of your home, which causes your AC unit to work extra hard and consume more power than it should be consuming!
- Schedule Regular AC Maintenance Visits – Regular servicing of your AC system will pay off over the long term. Not only will it keep your system running more efficiently but it ensures a longer use life by detecting any minor issues before they become major problems.
By following these simple steps, you can reduce your air conditioner energy usage and start saving money today. Talk to us today at Ashton Plumbing Heating and Air Conditioning and find out more about installing a cost-saving, energy-efficient AC system in your home.