Ductless ACs are also called mini-splits because two components of the equipment are separated by distance.
Ductless air-conditioners are also called mini-splits because the two components of the equipment are separated by distance:
- One half is the compressor, which sits outside, like the compressor on a central air-conditioner.
- The other half of the ductless system, the indoor air-handling unit, is wall-mounted and connected to the compressor by a pair of hidden pipes. The indoor unit like a radiator that delivers cold air instead of heat. It can be located as far as 75 feet from the compressor and there is no loss of power or efficiency.
Typical mini-splits include two or three indoor air-handling units to deliver cooling throughout your home. Hook up is relatively easy, requiring no ductwork and only a three- or four-inch hole drilled through an exterior wall to connect the pipes to the two parts of the system.
Mini-split systems save you money through lower electricity use
As the cooling action of a mini-split is delivered to different individually controlled areas in your home, you can choose to cool different zones depending on the time of day and where most people are located. Example, having more cooling in bedrooms at night versus living areas during the day.
Operating a ductless mini-split system without the sheet metal ducts has other advantages:
- Homes that are duct-free and are heated with electric baseboard heaters or radiant in-floor heating, offer cooling action that can’t be achieved with central air.
- Ductless systems also eliminate the risk of breaking and entering in homes that have window air conditioners/window shakers.
- Some mini-split systems are designed to operate in reverse, supplying heat during cool weather. For homes without ducts, this can mean getting rid of those baseboard heaters, resulting in year-round energy savings.
Mini-split systems provide heating and cooling. They are a great option for home additions, or selective area heating and cooling, such as one floor or particular rooms in your home.
Advantages of a mini-split system over other types of cooling / heating equipment
- Can provide heating and cooling in homes that do not have air ducts.
- Provides independent temperature control for an area.
- Allows for the addition of air conditioning and heating in homes without ductwork, and with the least amount of disruption to the interior space.
Need a ductless AC installation quote in Vancouver?
If you are thinking of installing a mini-split/ductless split system in your Vancouver area home, please give us a call or schedule online to set up an appointment for one of our advisors to help select the correct system for your Vancouver home.